What is a dental crown and when would I need one?
A crown is a cap placed over the entire tooth surface to restore its shape, size, strength and /or appearance. Crowns are used:
- To attach a bridge
- When a filling is too large for the tooth to support
- To protect a cracked or broken tooth
- To cover a tooth with a root canal
- For cosmetic enhancement
There are different types of dental crowns suitable for different situations. They are:
- Porcelain crowns: Today’s technology creates crowns made of porcelain that are natural looking in shape and color, leave no black edge at the gum line and can last 20-30 years.
- Metal crowns: Crowns made of gold, silver or porcelain over metal, the standard for crowns for many years, are still occasionally used.
Mayfair Dentistry in San Jose, CA strives to provide crowns that look and feel like the real thing to restore the look of your natural smile!
Book your new patient appointment today!
Don't put your smile on hold.